The M.Sc. course in Environmental Science is a multidisciplinary post-graduate programme in the frontier area of Environmental Sciences.
Duration: 2 Years (4 semesters)
Intake: 21 (17 merit + 3 Payment/N.R.I quota + 1 Lakshadweep)
Working hours: 9.30am to 4.30pm on all working days (Monday – Friday)
The major objectives of the Course are:
• To provide an integrated knowledge of diverse disciplines and training in various theoretical and applied aspects of environmental science and management leading to a Masters Degree.
• To establish advance facilities and promote research and technological development to solve environmental issues and problems.
• To undertake consultancy project in environment, disaster management, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Remote Sensing (RS), Geographical Information System (GIS), and Forest and Wild Life Management.
• To establish good networking of academic collaboration and exchange of faculty and students with national and international organizations, institutions, industries.
• To offer environmental information, education and communication services and offer extension activities like environmental awareness programmes for school and college students and for the public
The course contents is kept abreast with the latest development in the area of study. The students have to do a full time institutional or industrial training/ project work for four to five months, enabling them to have valuable hands on experience. The theory, practical, project work and training activities of this programme prepare the student to acquire knowledge, skills and expertise on specified subjects along with the integrated knowledge of all relevant disciplines.
B.Sc. Degree in any of the subjects (Botany/ Zoology/ Chemistry/ Physics/ Environmental Science/ Environmental Management/ Microbiology/ Biotechnology/ Biochemistry/ Agriculture/ Horticulture/ Forestry/ any branch of Life Science/ Geology/ Geography) or an equivalent examination or an engineering degree in Civil/ Mechanical/ Chemical/ Environmental branch with an aggregate of 55% marks in the optional.
The selection of the candidate is based on the marks secured in the admission/entrance test. The Syllabus of the admission test will cover the basics of Environmental Science at the undergraduate level, basics of Science and general knowledge.