Title and Commencement of the programme
- These Regulations shall be called the Kannur University Regulations 2020 Governing the Integrated Degree Program (Five Years) (Semester Scheme) leading to the Bachelor Degree of B.A., LL.B.
- The name of the programme is B.A LL.B (5Year) Degree Course.
- The programme shall be of a double degree integrated programme comprising B.A (English) and LL.B degrees.
- These Regulations shall come into force with effect from academic year 2020-21.
- This regulation supersede the existing regulations relating to the B.A. LL.B five Year course provided however that the students admitted up to the 2019-2020 academic year shall continue to be governed by the existing regulations till they complete the course.
Duration of the Programme
- The Duration of the programme shall be five academic years comprising of 10 semesters. Each semester shall consist of 20 weeks duration including examination days.
- A candidate who successfully completes the 10 semesters shall be eligible for the award of B.A., LL.B Degree.
Objectives of the Course;
- The main objective of this program is to provide extensive knowledge base to the students of law.
- To equip the students with the requisite knowledge of the diverse subject portfolios and enable them to handle situations efficiently.
- The programme will also help students become social engineers equipped with alternative policy options.
- To promote cultural, legal and ethical values with a view to promote and foster the rule of law and the objectives enshrined in the Constitution of India;
- A system of active learning through high level of teacher-student interaction and internal and continuous assessment of student’s achievement.
Significance of B.A Papers
As far as possible the types of questions asked, should encourage the students to think and provide creative responses rather than simply recall material in the given text. Questions for the final written examination conducted by the University in English should preferably be set by teachers who teach these papers in different Universities.
- By studying law in the particular context of humanities and social sciences the students are groomed to respond to governance, administration and human behaviour
- Inculcate values of Rights and Duties, and transfer these values to real-life through legal and judicial process for promoting community welfare
- Interpret And Analyze the legal and social problems and work towards finding solutions to the problems by application of laws and regulations
- Resolve the legal problems with the correct application of law;
- Find, identify and interpret the law in a given situation.
Eligibility for Admission.
An applicant seeking admission to B.A.LL.B Degree course shall have successfully completed Pre-University Course or Senior Secondary School course (‗+2‘) or equivalent (such as 11+1, ‗A‘ level in Senior School Leaving Certificate
Course) from a recognized University in India or outside, or from a Senior Secondary Board or equivalent, constituted or recognized by the Union or by a State Government securing in the aggregate, marks not less than 45% (in the case of SC/ST 40%) of the total marks.
(Note: i) Candidates obtaining 10+2 directly through open university without having any basic qualification for pursuing such studies are not eligible for admission in the B.A., LL.B. degree courses. ii) A candidate having passed Job Oriented course and Diploma Course are not eligible to seek admission in B.A., LL.B.)
Explanation: However candidates obtaining 44.5% in case of General Merit & 39.5% in case of SC/ST shall be deemed to have secured 45% and 40% respectively.
6.2 Maximum age for seeking admission to the B.A., LL.B. Degree Course is 20 years of age (relaxation of two years in case of SC, ST, and Other Backward Communities) as on the date of admission notification.
Students Intake and Admission
- A maximum of 60 students will be admitted per class.
- Admission to the first semester shall be done on the basis of marks obtained in the Entrance examination.
- The entrance test is intended to test the general knowledge, logical reasoning, aptitude for the study of law, English language skill, fundamentals of Constitution etc of the candidate.
- Reservation of seats in admission shall be allotted for SC/ST and OBC and any eligible categories as directed by the Government of Kerala from time to time.
- No student shall be allowed to simultaneously register for any other graduate or degree programme during the course of the B.A., LL.B. programme.
- The fee fixed by the University shall be remitted by the student in each semester has notified by Department.